Our Library Resources
Situated at 19 Cambridge Road in the historic Old Bellerive Post Office with its prominent clock tower, our library provides a convenient venue for researchers. The building, built in 1897, is located close to bus stop 17 in Bellerive Village on Metro route 616
from Rosny Park available Monday to Friday. See
Alternatively, take a bus to stop 8 on route 615 near
York Street then walk through the village. Route
615 operates Monday to Sunday inclusive.
The library is staffed by volunteer members who are always willing to help and houses a huge number and variety of paper, book, microfiche, film and computer based resources. Many TFHS Inc. publications are available for sale.
The Old Bellerive Post Office
Opening Hours and Cost (subject to change)
While there are no formal COVID-19 restriction in place, visitors and
volunteers are welcome to wear a mask, should they choose to do so.
Tuesday 12.30 pm - 3.30 pm
Wednesday 9.30 am - 12.30 pm
1.00 pm - 4.00 pm (note revised times)
Visitors $10 per person
Our resources are fully catalogued with the emphasis on research in Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. We are continually adding new and exciting records from all over the world and a few are listed below.
- Books describing genealogical resources and their location
- Biographical Dictionaries
- Directories and Almanacs
- Family Histories
- Tasmanian Parish Registers and Cemetery Records
- Indexes to Births, Deaths and Marriages in Tasmanian Newspapers
- Tasmanian Indexes of Births to 1905, and of Deaths and Marriages to 1919 with microfilms of the registers 1803 to 1899
- Indexes of Births, Deaths and Marriages for other Australian States
- Tasmanian Electoral Rolls 1856-1900 and 1998-2000
- TAMIOT (Tombstone and Memorial Inscriptions of Tasmania)
- Hobart Town Gazette 1826-1900
- Convict Records for New South Wales plus some for Tasmania Passenger and Immigration Records
- New Zealand Births, Deaths and Marriage Indexes 1840-1900
- International Genealogical Index (IGI) (Baptisms and Marriages Worldwide)
- English Census Records, Directories and Parish Registers
- Scottish Census Records and Directories
- Irish Convicts Records and Wills Index 1536-1810
- Index to Tasmanian Convicts
- Tasmanian Pioneer Index
- Tasmanian Federation Index
- Victorian Pioneer Index
- Victorian Deaths Index 1921-1985
- Census Records, including the complete 1881 Census for England, Scotland and Wales
- Various Parish Registers
- British Vital Records Index 2002 ed. (Update of IGI)
- Pallot’s Baptism and Marriage Indexes 1780-1837
- Index of Griffith’s Valuation for Ireland 1848-1864
- Western Europe Vital Records Index (Update of IGI)
FamilySearch Affiliate Library
We are also an accredited FamilySearch Affiliate Library which means
restricted images may be accessed. See
Overseas and Interstate Journals
published by fellow societies
available for use in the library includes photocopier, microfiche readers, microfiche reader/printer, microfilm reader/printer, computers and printers.
No material is available on loan.
A research service is provided
Please forward all mail to our postal address and not the Library.