Tuesday 15 November - 7:30pm General Meeting
VENUE: Old Sunday School, St Johns Park Precinct
GUEST SPEAKER: Ruth Binny
TOPIC : The Story of J R Butler: First Fleeter
Ruth is a retired history teacher and marking examiner for what used to be the Schools Board of Tasmania. She is President of the Derwent Chapter of First Fleeters, Chairman of the Fine Food Show of RAST for 10 years, a U3A tutor at Clarence for many years and a keen family historian.
Her talk will cover the journey of James Cullen from London to New Norfolk via Norfolk Island. From a jockey and chancer to a respectable farming man. It will include a bit of a look at London in the late 18th century and the sorry tale of his demise.
NOTE: Members and visitors are no longer requested to wear masks but should feel comfortable to do so if they so choose.
This meeting is the final one for 2022.
Please bring a small plate of food to share over a chat and a cuppa afterwards.
Looking forward to seeing you all there.
Wishing all peace and joy this Christmas, and much happiness and hope for the New Year to come.
Thank you for all your efforts this year,
Thu 17 Nov – 10.00am Branch Committee Meeting
VENUE : Branch Library, Bellerive
Thu 17 Nov – 1:30pm DNA Interest Group Meeting
VENUE : St Marks Church Hall, Bellerive
Thu 24 Nov - 2pm Library Committee
VENUE : Branch Library, Bellerive
The library will be closing for the summer break Saturday 17 December 2022 and re-opening Tuesday 17 January 2023.
A big thank you to our Librarian Judith and Pam who collates the Library roster and all the Library Assistants who have given another wonderful year of service to our members and visitors.
The following items were accessioned during the month of Octpber 2022
* Denotes complimentary or donated item
* Dunn, Cathy; LADY NELSON – NORFOLK ISLAND TO HOBART, February 1808 [Q929.3946 DUN]
* Dunn, Cathy; ESTRAMINA – NORFOLK ISLAND TO HOBART, May 1808 [Q929.3946 DUN]
* Hawkins, Mick; THE BOUTFLOWERS IN TASMANIA [Q929.2 BOU]
* Harman, Kristy; ABORIGINAL CONVICTS - Australian, Khoisan, and Maori Exiles [994.02 HAR]
* Saltmarsh, Patricia; D UCROWS IN AUSTRALIA - A brief history of the first descendants of John Dickrew and Ellen Halley [Q929.2 DUC]
* Wood, R, E, (Betty); FROM DORSET TO KINDRED BRANCHES - Our Arnold Family [Q929.2 ARN]
The research papers of Tasmanian historian, the late Peter MacFie, are now posted on the Tasmanian State Archives website. Retired archivist Ms Bryant, with Peter's guidance, sorted 130 boxes of research papers, to be made available for future historians and students to explore. These were then donated by Peter and his family. Special thanks too, to the staff at State Archives.
NB the records appear to be not on-line, but for viewing in the Library only and will need to be ordered in. https://stors.tas.gov.au/AI/NG3784
Information from Maree Ring
A WYATT Family Reunion will occur at Sheffield, Tasmania on Saturday, 10 Dec 2022, and will include the rededication of William & Margaret Wyatt's grave and new headstone followed by lunch and a Wyatt Family history presentation at the Sheffield RSL & Citizens Club.
If your family name is Wyatt, Oliver, Bramich, Rockliff, Robertson, Jacobs, Rouse or Lamb and you are a descendant of William and Margaret Wyatt (nee lnall) of Dunorlan and Sheffield, you are warmly invited to a WYATT family reunion. If you wish to register and receive additional information, please email your NAME, MOBILE and family connection to Doug Wyatt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Ernest, b Launceston, 11 Apr 1846, m Henrietta Gertrude Teston ,14 Nov 1877. d 16 Mar 1907.
2. Eliza Jane, b. Launceston, 22 Oct 1847, m Alexander Oliver, 5 July 1871, d 10 May 1945
3. William Newton, b. Oaks, 29 Mar 1849, m Sarah Oliver, 28 June 1872, d 28 Oct 1931
4. Emily Ann, b. Westbury, 14 Apr 1851, m Joseph Bramich, 7 June 1871, d 23 Jul 1941
5. Henry James (Jimmy), b. Westbury, 19 Feb 1853, m Amelia Rookley, 10 Aug 1885, d 23 July 1941
6. Matilda Amy (Tilly), b. Westbury, 5 May 1855, m William Rockliff, 4 May 1887, d 17 Nov 1937.
7. Albert Edward, b. Westbury, 7 Apr 1857, m Adeline Eliza Spicer, 7 Jul 1883, d 27 Aug 1923
8. Clara Isabella, b. Westbury, 17 Feb 1859, d 31 Mar 1860
9. Martha Clara, b. 29 Dec 1860, m Robert Robertson, 9 Mar 1880, d 24 Aug 1899
10. Terence Arthur (Kirk), b. 5 Dec 1861, m Clara Jane Coleman, 8 Nov 1897, d 12 April 1947
11. Ada Isabelle, b. Deloraine, 5 Dec 1863, m William Jacobs, 27 Jul 1889, d 18 Jun 1971
12. Cecelia Eva, b. Deloraine, 24 Nov 1864, m Robert Burton Rouse, 12 0ct 1881, d 11 Jul 1948
13. Alfred Newton, b. Deloraine, 7 Nov 1867 d 19 Sept 1875
14. Lilly Mildred, b. Deloraine, 23 Sep 1874, m Edward Hutcheson Lamb, 30 Apr 1897, d 16 Jul 1966
Are you feeling the pinch with the rising cost of living?
Want to know tips, tricks and services in the community that can help you make the most of what you have?
Join us for the Good to Know Expo at Hobart Library on 24 November from 11.00 am to 2.0 pm. Find information about renting and housing, sustainability, healthy eating, positive ageing, community services, getting the most from MyGov, the Aurora Plus app, Service Tas and more. It’s easy, just drop in!